>> Sunday, April 29, 2007
>> Thursday, April 19, 2007
I had one of our blog roll members request that I set up the blog roll links so that they open in a new window when someone clicks on them. (And, then Barb was also kind enough to tell me how I would accomplish that when I let her know how ignorant I was in that area. LOL)
Anyway, so before Barb let me know how to do it, I did some internet research on it, and it would seem that some people don't care for that kind of feature. But, I'm open to doing it either way, as I can see pros and cons for both.
So, I'm taking opinions -- do you prefer for the blog roll links to just open in the same window (and then you click "back" if you want to return where you were) or do you prefer for them to open in a new window (and then you'll have to "X" out of that when you want to leave, but then you'll still have your original site open).
Leave me a comment with your preference, but I'll have the final decision. (Oh, and if you want to see what the difference is, all of the blogs in the blog roll are currently set to open in the same window except three that I just tinkered with to change to open to a new window. So, you can click on the blog roll links to: Many Little Blessings (yes, I know that's my site -- LOL), The Humble Housewife, and The Mother Load -- both of those are sites that I just added this morning.)
Thanks, in advance, for the opinions!
>> Friday, April 13, 2007
>> Monday, April 9, 2007
When you join the Catholic Mothers Online blog roll, you can have your choice of what "button" you want to appear at the top of your blog roll. Or, you may choose one, and also wish you display another on your site. If you would like to do that, let me know, and I will send you coding for that.
When you join, I will ask which image you want on the blog roll on your site. After you let me know, then I will send you the coding that contains the correct image.
Here are the choices (they can also be viewed here):
Cross on a Hill:
Hand Holding Rosary
Statue of St. Mary and Jesus
Conversely, if you would like to design your own, I would be happy to check it out and approve it ahead of time. If you design your own, I would like very much for you to be willing to share it with anyone who wanted to use it. I will host the button, for that purpose.
Check it out -- I'm testing it out. ;) (It's over to the right in my sidebar.)
I am going to come up with a couple of different picture options so that you will be able to choose which one (including some that are smaller).
If you have joined already and haven't received the code, don't worry. :) I will be sending it later -- after I create a couple more button choices so that you can choose which code to install.
And, remember -- there are prizes possible for joining before April 30th!
Oh...and don't forget to spread the word about the new blog roll by posting about it on your blog or just telling friends!
>> Sunday, April 8, 2007
To help encourage the growth of the new blog roll (which I have been testing periodically to make sure I have it all figured out!), I am offering a drawing. What do you need to do? Just join the blog roll and install the code on your blog! That's it! But, for an extra entry in the drawing, you can do a post (even a quick one) to announce the new blog roll and that you have joined.
This will run through April 30th, 2007 at 11:59 pm EST. Two winners will be chosen for your choice of a Hail Mary 5x7 digital art print that I created. They are shown here:
>> Friday, April 6, 2007
(*Please Note: This is an older posting to the Catholic Mothers Online Blog. To read more recent posts, please click on the header. However -- this *is* the correct posting to sign up for the blog roll.*)
Thank you for your interest in joining the Catholic Mothers Online Blog Roll!
Requirements for joining this blog roll (by submitting your information and clicking "I agree," you are agreeing that you do meet the requirements for enrollment:
- This blog roll is for mothers. However, this includes mothers with children of all ages, as well as those who haven't been blessed with a child yet, but do pray for that to happen in the future. This is also for women who serve as mothers through being a godmother, as well as those women who are simply mothers at heart. As one wise blogger said, "Isn't every woman a mother at heart?"
- Membership is open to bloggers who are Roman Catholic or Orthodox, as well as those who are currently going through the RCIA process.
- You must recognize and respect the Magesterium of the Church and be obedient to the Pope and authorities under him. We feel this isn't asking too much, as that is at the very heart of being Catholic. We don't want to police what you are writing in regards to the Church. If you feel called to write about something you don't agree with, please do so in a respectful manner. (If you cannot abide by this and we are contacted about a posting of yours, we will contact you to discuss it prior to removing your blog from the roll.)
- You must have at least three postings on your blog and also have had your blog for at least two weeks. If you fill out the form before that time, you will be asked to wait and resubmit the form at the appropriate time.
- Your blog must be set to public access, and must be almost entirely in the English language. (Because we check up on the blogs on the roll, the volunteers who help with this must be able to get to your blog, and they must be able to read the language, which is our reasoning for these rules.)
- You will need to add the coding to your blog with the blogroll (you will have to add this prior to being added). This will include a small picture, as well as the alphabetical listing of links of all the blogs on the roll. (Don't worry -- there will be a scrolling button so that even as the list grows, it won't take over the side bar of your blog!) This needs to be displayed on your blog somewhere that it can easily be found. Since I do check up on all the blogs on the blog roll periodically -- I need to be able to find it. I will look around, but if I can't find it, your blog will be removed from the blog roll. (I may or may not notify you of this after you have been removed.)
- You will need to post to your blog at least once per calendar month.
- Anyone whose sign up has been in the queue list for joining for over a month and hasn't installed the code by that time will have their sign up deleted from the queue. If your sign up email has been deleted and you contact me about joining again, you will be asked to fill out the sign up (below) again.
If you feel like you still want to join, please fill out the sign up form below. You will be contacted within approximately one week. (If the form does not work, you may email the information to catholicmothers (at) comcast (dot) net.)
***PLEASE WATCH YOUR SPAM/JUNK EMAIL FOLDER if you have one! Many times I have received multiple requests from the same person over and over only for them to later find all of the emails I sent to them in their spam/junk folder.
*Please Note: You will be able to choose your own image for above the blog roll on your site. To browse various images, please visit this link to view all of the image choices.*
How to Sign Up:
>> Thursday, April 5, 2007
Thanks so much to the advice and wise words of Rosemary at A Catholic Mother's Thoughts, I was able to go with my original thinking of having this be a list of Catholic Mothers, but still allowing it to be open to those who are not already mothers in what other people may think in the "traditional" sense. This means that even if you do not have a child in your arms (or towering over you!) already, if it is in your heart to answer the call to the vocation of motherhood in the future (even through being a godmother), this will be a blog list where you will be welcome.
I so have appreciated Rosemary's thoughts and suggestions -- Bless You, Rosemary!
I will continue to work on this list in the coming week (though I may not work too much more in the next few days, of course), and will get the blog roll set up, set up a way to sign up for it, outline some requirements for joining, and make some fun "buttons" that you can place on your website to proclaim that you are a member of Catholic Mothers Online.
For now -- I hope that you will enjoy the new header, the new template I am using, the name (and intentions of it), etc.
Bless you all as we continue through Holy Week!
>> Wednesday, April 4, 2007
So...I have a little bit of work to do before I actually put this into action (maybe next week?), but I wanted to get the page started so I can start fiddling with it.
Once things get going, you will be able to sign up for a Catholic Women's Blog Roll. You can read discussion about what inspired me to create it and such on my regular blog -- Many Little Blessings.
Next week, I hope to have up the guidelines for joining and other similar information. I am excited for this, and feel that I have been called to create this to help foster even greater community with (and increased ease in finding) female Catholic bloggers.
So...what's on my agenda?
- Name this blog roll! (If you have any great ideas, feel free to share. If I choose what you suggest, I will send you a little something!)
- Come up with some buttons for the blogroll for others to put on their own blogs. (Though my plan for the list is to have a script through another website that will have a listing of all the blogs to be placed on each blog in the blog ring. It will hopefully be similiar to the Blogging Chicks that is on my site now.) If you are not familiar with Blogging Chicks, here is a link to their site.
- Design a header, footer, etc.
My biggest "to do" though is to name it and begin take sign ups. I figure everything else can wait until later into next week, particularly as many people (including myself) are trying to take more time this week in prayer and meditation. (I will say that I would certainly have been waiting on this until after Holy Week if I hadn't felt so called to do this while in prayer.)
Thanks for checking out the new, very plain (for now) home of the as-of-yet untitled Catholic Women's blog roll.
(If you are interested in signing up, please feel free to comment to me here or on my regular site. I will be opening an email address soon for this purpose as well.)